Service Desk

As your Member of Parliament, Wayne's staff in Cranbrook and Nelson are here to serve the residents of Kootenay--Columbia. Our team is available to help you navigate and resolve issues with federal government departments, programs and services, including:

  • Income tax and Canada Revenue Agency issues
  • Canada Pension Plan
  • Employment Insurance
  • Citizenship & Immigration Canada
  • Canada Student Loans
  • Canadians travelling abroad
  • National Parks
  • Community resources and links

Our team is also here to support community initiatives, and arrange for special messages for special occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries.

Most importantly, our team works diligently to make sure that the people in our communities have a strong voice in Ottawa.

Please note: In order for our staff to help you best, it is recommended to call ahead so we can advise you exactly which documents we will require in order to help resolve any problems.

The constituency office may be able to provide referrals to community resources, but cannot assist directly with legal matters.


Government of Canada Programs and Services
You can find information on government programs and services:

  • By phone (toll-free): 1-800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232), TTY: 1-800-926-9105;
  • Online at:; and
  • In person at a Service Canada Centre. Check the Service Canada website or call 1-800-O-Canada for a list of service centres near you.


Canada Revenue Agency

Please visit the Canada Revenue Agency website for general information.

Most Canada Revenue forms and tax credit applications are available online here.

Did you miss the income tax filing deadline? The deadline is April 30 for personal income taxes. Missing the tax deadline can have serious consequences. If you do not do your taxes or file late, benefits to which you may be entitled, such as the Child Tax Benefit or GST Rebate, will be affected. Our office can assist you if you file late, but we cannot expedite the reinstatement of these benefits.

If you have other tax issues, such as Child Tax Benefit or Disability Tax Credit issues, contact the office for assistance.


Canada Pension Plan (CPP)

Please visit the Employment & Social Development Canada website for detailed information about the Canada Pension Plan (CPP).

For information about CPP Disability eligibility and benefits, please go here.


Old Age Security Program (OAS)

The Old Age Security (OAS) program provides you with a modest pension at age 65, if you have lived in Canada for at least 10 years. For detailed information, please visit the OAS website.


Employment Insurance

Employment Insurance (EI) provides temporary financial assistance for unemployed Canadians while they look for work or upgrade their skills. Canadians who are sick, pregnant or caring for a newborn or adopted child, as well as those who must care for a family member who is seriously ill with a signficant risk of death, may also be assisted by EI.

Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) is responsible for providing all Canadians with the tools they need to thrive and prosper in an inclusive labour market. Please visit ESDC's EI website.

You may also complete your EI reports online by going here.

If you are experiencing unusually long delays or difficulties in filing your EI claim, contact my office for assistance.

Note: If you are filing an appeal on an EI claim decision, my staff can give advice with the preparation of the appeal process.


Canadians travelling abroad

It is important to be prepared and to expect the unexpected while abroad. By preparing carefully in advance, you can prevent serious and costly problems for you and your family.

Remember: Your passport is the only proof of your Canadian citizenship and identity that is accepted in all countries. You and all family members should have a valid passport if you plan to travel outside Canada.

In the event of an emergency abroad, the Department of Foreign Affairs Emergency Operations Centre is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It offers assistance in case of an emergency situation abroad. From outside Canada you can reach the emergency centre by calling: 613-996-8885 (call collect where available)

For more information visit:


Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC)

For information about immigrating to Canada and visas for work, study and visiting, or to complete your applications to do so, please visit the CIC website.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada recieves tens of thousands of applications every year. Application processing times vary greatly depending on application class and location. We encourage constituents to consult current processing times before seeking an update on an application. Visit: Application Processing Times for information on estimated wait times.

Please note: My office cannot speed up the processing of an immigration application, nor obtain special updates on immigration files which are within normal processing times and standards. Constituents who have sponsored or made an immigration application can obtain their own status updates through the CIC Online Service at: Client Application Status, or by calling the national CIC Call Centre Service at: 1-888-242-2100.

Top Tips on How to Recognize Unauthorized Immigration Representatives


Telephone Services

If you have a complaint about your telephone service, please visit the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) website.

You can find additional information about the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services here.